The Eastern Branch of the Irish Patchwork Society is one of 8 country-wide branches and has 200 members. Membership is taken from Dublin, Wicklow, Meath, Westmeath and Kildare.
The Branch offers tuition (to members only) in patchwork and quilting skills with workshops from international and national experts in the field as well as offering classes at Intermediate and Beginner level given by experienced and qualified branch members. Details of these can be found here.
There is a lending Library. Quilting supplies, fabrics, notions etc. may be purchased from visiting shops. Tea and coffee are available before the meeting. There is usually a speaker and illustrated talk and members are encouraged to “Show and Tell” the stories behind their completed quilts.
Update 25th September 2016:
Eastern Branch IPS Septermber Meeting - thank you to all those who attended our recent branch meeting. We were delighted to have guest shop Fabric Matters & guest speaker Wendy Huggins. The door prize was won by Miriam Barker. Updates from the meeting include:
- IPS Membership 2016/2017: Members can renew/new members can renew/join at the October/November branch meetings or by post (details at the end of the webpage).
- IPS AGM 2016: Will take place next weekend - Saturday, 1st October 2016 at the Ormonde Hotel, Kikenny, from 9.30am. We would encourage as many members to attend.
- Eastern Branch IPS October 2016 Meeting: Will take place on Saturday 22nd October 2016. The Kniting and Stitching show will be on at the same time.
- Call for Patchwork Groups for 2016/2017: If you are a member of a patchwork/sewing group and would like to display your work at our upcoming branch meetings, please contact the IPS Eastern Branch committee - email@example.com
- Eastern Branch IPS Open Day 2016: Will take place on Saturday 12th November 2016. All brach members are asked if they wish to volunteer to participate/demonstrate quilting or sewing or show their quilt. Please let the Eastern Brach IPS committee know by email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pfaff Sewing Maching for Sale: Sewing Machine for Sale: One of the IPS members who has been diagnosed with Alzheimers disease, is sewing a Pfaff Sewing Machine. It is a Pfaff Expression 4, year 2010. It has a long arm for easier quilting. It has a full carrying case and trolley. Offers in the region of €800.00 or nearest offer (was originally €850.00). Please sent an email to email@example.com and details of the person who is selling it will be given.
- Branch Workshops: A number of workshops took place over summer 2016 - "Appliqué with Anne O'Rafferty, "Fabric Dyeing with Moira Byrne & Lorna Lafferty" & "Storm at Sea with Anne Maire Hobbs". Upcoming workshops will include: Full day Workshop on Saturday 19th November 2016, "Block Printing" with Sidella O'Brien, Cost €55.00; 1/2 Day "Christmas Demonstrations" on Saturday afternoon, 26th November 2016, Cost TBC; Full day Workshop on Saturday 3rd December 2016, "Landcapes" with Miriam Gogerty, Cost €55.00. Workshops for 2017 will include: "Getting Started"; "Miniature Quilts"; "What to do with your dyed fabrics" and "One Block Wonder". If you have any ideas for future workshops or wish to book a workshop, please contact Mary Hunter/Marilyn Rowantree by email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Festival of Quilts 2017: Kavanagh's travel company have confirmed they will be running a bus/travel service to the NEC, Birmingham, UK in 2017.
Other Updates from Summer 2016:
- The Golden Fleece Award 2016 - Aims to provide resources for practising Irish craft and visual artists aspiring to innovate and to develop their artistic vision. There is an overall award fund of €20,000.00. All applications must be made online by this year’s closing date Friday 25th November 2016 For a full description of entry criteria and to make your application online, please go to their website.
Call for Quilts - IPS - Knitting & Stitching Show 2016 - The IPS is now welcoming members and their families to enter their quilted/patchwork items to the upcoming "Knitting & Stitching Show" that will take place 20th to 23rd October 2016 at the RDS, Dublin. To submit your item, please email a photograph of the quilt/item with the approximate size to the following IPS Executive Members:
Traditional Quilts - Elizabeth Brennan - email@example.com
Modern - Ruth Burke - firstname.lastname@example.org
Bags - Dearbhla O'Reilly - email@example.com
Young Quilters & Art - Paula Rafferty - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call for Quilts - Hands Across the Border 2017 - The IPS and The Northern Ireland Patchwork Guild present: “Hands Across the Border 2017” “Aurora”. Southern venue to be confirmed Northern venue is Island Arts Centre, Lisburn, June 2017. Exhibition Rules and Conditions; All IPS & Northern Ireland Patchwork Guild Members are eligible to enter. Deadline for quilts to be received is Saturday 4th March 2017. No late entries will be accepted due to cataloguing and photographing of quilts. More details and entry form can be found on the following website.
- IPS 2016/2017 Membership Renewal: IPS Membership 2016/2017 rates are: €40.00 (Individual); €20.00 (Student) and €60.00 (Internataional). Note Family IPS Membership is no longer available. There are a number of options to renew: Existing IPS members can renew their membership at the next branch meeting in September - November 2016 or direct to the IPS Membership Secretary in September 2016: Option 1: Attend the next IPS Eastern Branch meeting - Saturday 24th September 2016 and bring the completed membership form and payment of membership fee. Or Option 2: Renew membership direct to Membership Secretary via the postal address with the completed IPS membership form and payment (cheque or postal order) to the following address: Membership Secretary, Irish Patchwork Society, P.O. Box 45, Blackrock, Co. Dublin
Branch Meetings are held in St Anthony’s House (behind St Anthony’s RC Church) Clontarf Road, Dublin 3. The Clontarf Road DART station is about 10 minutes’ walk - (walking towards Howth, the seafront on your right). Bus No 130 from the City Centre (Abbey Street) passes the door. There is ample parking for those travelling by car, both in the Church car park (free) and across the road on the seafront (public car parking - fee may occur).
Meetings are held monthly, 10.00am - 12.30pm on the 4th Saturday in the month. There are no monthly meetings in July, August and December. Admission at the door is €5.00 for members and guests (who may attend twice before becoming members) [NOTE: The admission price was amended at the May 2016 IPS Eastern Branch AGM].
Tea/Coffee is served before the meeting starts. Please bring your own cup/mug where possible. Click her for the pattern for a "Mug Bag".