The Eastern Branch of the Irish Patchwork Society is one of 8 country-wide branches and has 200 members. Membership is taken from Dublin, Wicklow, Meath, Westmeath and Kildare.
The Branch offers tuition (to members only) in patchwork and quilting skills with workshops from international and national experts in the field as well as offering classes at Intermediate and Beginner level given by experienced and qualified branch members. Details of these can be found here.
There is a lending Library. Quilting supplies, fabrics, notions etc. may be purchased from visiting shops. Tea and coffee are available before the meeting. There is usually a speaker and illustrated talk and members are encouraged to “Show and Tell” the stories behind their completed quilts.
Update: 23rd October 2016:
Thank you to all Eastern Branch members, visitora and Guest Shop: Sew Crafty Fabrics and Guest Speaker: Avril Riordan – Sew Crafty for attending yesterday;s October 2016 Branch Meeting. Celine McDonnell (Branch Chair) thanked all those who attended. Mary Canning won the door prize (from Sew Crafty). Updates:
- The Knitting & Stitching Show 2016 - All IPS members thanked for contributing to the IPS exhibtition currently at the RDS and all IPS members who helped with behind the scenes.
- IPS AGM 2016 - Great day held by all IPS members. Thanks IPS South Midlands (Kilkenny) Branch for all their hard work in organising the AGM. Points of interest from IPS AGM 2016: Kelly Fogerty (EB Member) stood down; Celine McDonnell (EB Member) joined; 2 VACANT SPACES on the IPS Executuve - please can all members consider being an executive member (need 1 yr min on EB IPS Committee or previous IPS Executive member). Please talk to any of the EB committee members. Emai - firstname.lastname@example.org
- IPS Blog - website with up-to-date information on all IPS branches and national information. Please click here to access the blog.
- Eastern Branch Open Day 2016 - Takes place Saturday 12th November 2016 at St. Anthony's Parish Centre. 10am to 4pm - All IPS members and visitors welcome. Opportunity to meet new members. EB IPS Committee members will be available all day at the event. We welcome branch members to come with their current work and sew away or if you are part of a sewing group please all come along. Talk to Celine or any committee members if you wish to participate. Email - email@example.com
- Christmas Challenge 2016 - The challenge has been set to make a "CHRISTMAS" creative item (can be 3D) - must not be bigger than 50cm or 19.7". Please bring to the next branch meeting - Saturday 26th November 2016.
- Eastern IPS Branch Workshops 2016: Half Day workshops cost €35.00 and Full day workshops cost €55.00. To book/requirement list, please contact Mary Hunter/Marilyn Rowantree by email firstname.lastname@example.org. SPACES available on following workshops: "Block Printing" with Sidella O'Brien - Full Day workshop on Saturday 19th November 2016; "Christmas Demonstrations" - Half day workshop Saturday afternoon, 26th November 2016; "Landcapes" with Miriam Gogerty - Full Day workshop on Satuday 3rd December 2016.
- Eastern IPS Branch Workshops 2017: Half Day workshops cost €35.00 & Full day workshops cost €55.00. To book/requirement list, please contact Mary Hunter/Marilyn Rowantree by email email@example.com. 2017 workshops: "Getting Started" 4 Beginners Workshops - "Squares" Full Day Workshop on Saturday 14th January 2017; "Machine Applique" Full Day workshop on Saturday 18th February 2017; "Half Sqaure Triangles" Full Day workshop Saturday 11th March 2017 and "Machine Quilting" Full Day workshop Saturday 1st April 2017. Other 2017 Workshops: "What to do with your dyed fabrics" 1/2 day workshop, Saturday 28th January 2017; "One Block Wonder" Full Day workshop Saturday 11th February 2017; "Hand Quilting" 1/2 workshop 25th February 2017; "Minature Quilts" Full day workshop March 2017 (date TBC); More details for workshops for March, April and May 2017 will be provided at Novembers branch meeting.
- Design & Crafts Council of Ireland (DCCoI) Membership: All IPS members are encouraged to become "Associate Members" of the DCCol to promote the work of patchwork people in Ireland. Mary Hunter circulated application forms and informed members how to complete relevent sections 1, 2, 4 and 8 on the application form. Please return completed forms to Mary Hunter or any committee member for Saturday 26th November 2016.
- Kirsty Whalley Challenge in Memory of her late brother Frank - Kirsty is an EB member whose brother Frank recently passed away. Frank worked in a clothing factory from the age of 14 years old. The company made/makes clothing garments and provided to Kirsty fabric that could be made into items for not-for-profit basis. Kirsty brought fabric to the branch meeting and requested all branch members to make 10.5" block up using the cut out fabric squares/fabric and bring completed squares to November or January EB meeting. Mary Hunter suggested to sew the fabric down using a foundation fabric backing (flip/sew method) [Mary demonstrated this]. Kirsty intends to make up the competed quilts and give to charities that her brother family values.
- Marine: The Irish Guild of Embroiderers Exhibition - Runs until Saturday, 5th November 2016 at Haigh Terrace Level 3, Lexicon Library Dun Laoghaire. The exhibition focuses on the theme ‘Marine’. Members’ work encompasses all styles of embroidery and textile work from the traditional to the innovative, from handwork to machine embroidery. The selection of textile work on display embraces fabric manipulation and embellishment, dyeing, printing and stitching and is presented in a variety of forms including framed work, wall hangings and 3D objects. More details can be found on their website.
Other News 2016:
- The Golden Fleece Award 2016 - Aims to provide resources for practising Irish craft and visual artists aspiring to innovate and to develop their artistic vision. There is an overall award fund of €20,000.00. All applications must be made online by this year’s closing date Friday 25th November 2016 For a full description of entry criteria and to make your application online, please go to their website.
Call for Quilts - Hands Across the Border 2017 - The IPS and The Northern Ireland Patchwork Guild present: “Hands Across the Border 2017” “Aurora”. Southern venue to be confirmed Northern venue is Island Arts Centre, Lisburn, June 2017. Exhibition Rules and Conditions; All IPS & Northern Ireland Patchwork Guild Members are eligible to enter. Deadline for quilts to be received is Saturday 4th March 2017. No late entries will be accepted due to cataloguing and photographing of quilts. More details and entry form can be found on the following website.
Festival of Quilts 2017: Kavanagh's travel company have confirmed they will be running a bus/travel service to the NEC, Birmingham, UK in 2017.
- Call for Patchwork Groups for 2016/2017: If you are a member of a patchwork/sewing group and would like to display your work at our upcoming branch meetings, please contact the IPS Eastern Branch committee - firstname.lastname@example.org
- IPS 2016/2017 Membership Renewal: IPS Membership 2016/2017 rates are: €40.00 (Individual); €20.00 (Student) and €60.00 (Internataional). Note Family IPS Membership is no longer available. There are a number of options to renew: Existing IPS members can renew their membership at the next branch meeting in September - November 2016 or direct to the IPS Membership Secretary in September 2016: Option 1: Attend the next IPS Eastern Branch meeting - Saturday 24th September 2016 and bring the completed membership form and payment of membership fee. Or Option 2: Renew membership direct to Membership Secretary via the postal address with the completed IPS membership form and payment (cheque or postal order) to the following address: Membership Secretary, Irish Patchwork Society, P.O. Box 45, Blackrock, Co. Dublin
Branch Meetings are held in St Anthony’s House (behind St Anthony’s RC Church) Clontarf Road, Dublin 3. The Clontarf Road DART station is about 10 minutes’ walk - (walking towards Howth, the seafront on your right). Bus No 130 from the City Centre (Abbey Street) passes the door. There is ample parking for those travelling by car, both in the Church car park (free) and across the road on the seafront (public car parking - fee may occur).
Meetings are held monthly, 10.00am - 12.30pm on the 4th Saturday in the month. There are no monthly meetings in July, August and December. Admission at the door is €5.00 for members and guests (who may attend twice before becoming members) [NOTE: The admission price was amended at the May 2016 IPS Eastern Branch AGM].
Tea/Coffee is served before the meeting starts. Please bring your own cup/mug where possible. Click her for the pattern for a "Mug Bag".